This weekend, the 2022 Marathon du Mont-Blanc returned to lush Chamonix, France, just before 8 am local time on Sunday, June 26.
As part of the Golden Trail World Series, the marathon is known to draw some of the world’s highest-performing trail runners each year. And this year’s lineup was no exception.
For 2022, race organizers repatterned the course and opted for an all-new finish line at Place du Triangle de l’Amitie — in the heart of Chamonix. The route charts competitors over 42 kilometers (26.2 miles) of immensely varied terrain, from gentle municipal roads to rocky switchbacks. Cumulatively, it climbs some 2,540 meters (8,333 feet). It’s one short race that’s just as stunning as it is grueling.
2022 Marathon du Mont-Blanc Men’s Race
UK favorite — and 2019 Trail World champ — Jonathan Albon broke the tape with 3:35:20 on the clock. That time put Albon ahead of the rest of the men’s field by more than four minutes.
Italy’s Davide Magnini was second to the podium with an official time of 3:39:41.
A minute later, Ruy Ueda of Japan clinched the final podium spot, at 3:40:42.
Moroccan-Swiss athlete Elhousine Elazzaoui (3:43:19) and France’s Thibaut Baronian (3:47:27) rounded out the top five in the men’s race.
2022 Marathon du Mont-Blanc Men’s Results
- Jonathan Albon (UK, lives in Norway) – 3:35:20
- Davide Magnini (Italy) – 33:39:41
- Ruy Ueda (Japan) – 3:40:42
- Elhousine Elazzaoui (Morocco) – 3:43:19
- Thibaut Baronian (France) – 3:47:27
- Robert Pkemboi (Kenya) – 3:50:44
- Andrzej Witek (Poland) — 3:51:56
- Anthony Felber (France) — 3:53:12
- Antoine Charvolin (France) — 3:53:48
- Adrien Michaud (France) — 3:54:11
2022 Marathon du Mont-Blanc Women’s Race
In the women’s field, Spain’s Sarah Alonso sank a decisive victory. Her time of 4:14:19 outpaced the pack by nearly six minutes.
New Zealand’s Caitlin Fielder came in at 4:20:21 to claim silver. Soon after, at 4:21:52, American Dani Moreno swooped in to secure bronze.
France’s Anaïs Sabrie (4:22:10) and 2022 Hochkonig Skyrace winner, Marcela Vasinova (4:24:35) of the Czech Republic completed the women’s top five.
2022 Marathon du Mont-Blanc Women’s Results
- Sarah Alonso (Spain) – 4:14:49
- Caitlin Fielder (New Zealand) – 4:20:21
- Dani Moreno (USA) – 4:21:52
- Anaïs Sabrie (France) – 4:22:10
- Marcela Vasinova (Czech Republic) – 4:24:35
- Oihana Kortázar (Spain) – 4:28:43
- Fabiola Conti (Italy) – 4:28:52
- Theres Leboeuf (France) – 4:29:34
- Emkay Sullivan (USA) – 4:31:17
- Julie Roux (France) – 4:33:52